Frame Specifications & Profiles
Karpen Steel manufactures custom hollow metal frames as specified.
Profiles to be power brake formed in accordance with details shown on plans. Jambs and head to be assembled with tongue and slot connection. Miters accurately fitted, continuously welded on face, and ground smooth. Some profiles will be required to be manufactured with square cut head and jambs. Spreaders shall be welded to the bottom of the jambs to ensure safe shipment and parallel alignment in field setting.
|Cold Rolled Steel (CRS)||14, 16, 18||16-ga CRS Standard|
|Hot Rolled Pickled & Oiled (HRPO)||10, 12||3/4″ Backbends|
|A60 Galvannealed (A60 GALV)||10, 12, 14, 16, 18||3/4″ Backbends on 10-ga & 12-ga|
|G90 Galvanized (G90 GALV)||14, 16||Special Order: Not prime painted|
|Stainless Steel (SS)||16||Type 304, #3/#4 finish. Not prime painted.|
- Galvanized steel is recommended where atmospheric conditions require extra protection.
- Type 304 stainless steel is recommended for areas where corrosive materials are present in the atmosphere.
- Hinge reinforcement 7-gauge, 12″ long.
- Strike reinforcement 16-gauge with 11-gauge thread depth.
- Closer reinforcement 12-gauge, 18″ long.
- Frames shall be suitably reinforced for closers, brackets and all other surface applied hardware.
- Drilling and tapping of surface hardware to be done in the field by the erector.
- Frames shall be thoroughly cleaned after assembly, filled when necessary to ensure a smooth finish, and given a prime coat of rust inhibiting primer paint. The primer shall be air dried. Stainless steel frames are not prime painted.
- 5⁄16″ standard.
- Other backsets available.
- ½” standard 14, 16 and 18-gage
- ¾”standard 10 and 12-gage
- Other backbends available.
- Equal Rabbet is standard.
- Unequal is available.
Storage and Installation of Hollow Metal Frames
“Storage and Installation of Hollow Metal Frames” Article as appeared in the December 2009 issue of Doors and Hardware Magazine. Rachel S. Smith, former President of Karpen Steel authored the article.